Christmas is a time when we all like to indulge ourselves, writes Charlotte Freeman of Mount Vets. However, many of our favourite treats are not good at all for our pets.
Chocolate can be extremely poisonous to pets as it contains a substance called theobromine. It’s found in larger quantities in dark chocolate and cocoa powder, and varying amounts in milk chocolate.
Common signs seen with chocolate poisoning in dogs are hyperactivity, elevated heart-rates, trembling and fever. Seizures can occur in severe cases. Treatment depends on the size of the dog and the type and amount of chocolate they’ve eaten.
If you think your pet may have eaten chocolate phone the practice immediately for further advice.
Grapes, raisins and sultanas can cause kidney failure in dogs and cats. In some cases only a very small amount can be a toxic dose. Peanuts, monkey nuts and macadamia nuts can cause twitching and agitation, so should also be avoided.
There are also warnings concerning vegetables that can be dangerous and even seasonal plants such as holly, ivy and mistletoe. For a very full run-down on Christmas-time hazards for pets click here to see the Mount Vets newest newsletter.