A terraced cottage in Champford Mews, Wellington, near the Wellesley Cinema has been extensively damaged following a fire believed to have started accidentally.
At least six firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the blaze after the alarm was raised at 8.21pm on Wednesday, June 1.
Two fire crews from Wellington and further crews from Taunton and Wiveliscombe were sent when the extent of the fire – which started in the living room – became clear.
A spokesman for Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said: “75 per cent of the first floor was damaged by fire and the remainder of the property was 100 per cent smoke damaged.”
A support vehicle operated by the Red Cross was sent to give help to the householder and neighbouring houses were checked to ensure that the fire had been contained.